Monday, May 23, 2011

The Turmeric Process

Turmeric is on my mind, burning my nostrils and throat, but oh my the end result is making my heart pound with joy.


Not sure how many of you will be interested in this post but I thought I would put it out there for people trying to figure out how to process the wonder spice turmeric. I'm sure there are other ways to do this but here is how we did it.





  1. Harvesting of the turmeric and cleaning


  2. Next is boiling the turmeric only for about 10 mins this locks in that most amazing vibrant colour.


  3. Drying the turmeric. We used our food dehydrator which took about 10 hours on medium. You can skin the turmeric before drying if you like but we didn't bother as it was picked the day before so the skin was very thin and also alot of the goodness is in the skin.



  4. Grinding. This is the most rewarding part the smell is so incredible and the colour is amazing.


  5. Get cooking with your homegrown, home processed wonder spice turmeric.

2 comments: