Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Rag rug progress

Here's an update on my rag rug, it's taking me quite a long time but it's not a project I want to rush. It's sort of like a meditation device for me to perch up in bed like a little old lady and slowly but lovingly knot away on this amazing project. Sometimes I'll just sit up in bed and stroke the rug and look at it.

I love that each sheet belonged to someone very dear to me... that's my plan... to be filled with love past and present. and bringing my grandparents old worn sheets & my old sheets new life filled with new love!
This next one was my grandparents, I remember sleeping on these when I was younger, boy I wish they still made sheets like this now! I still have a little bit of the brown (was maroon haha) to finish, I can't wait to start on this new sheet! Oh but still slowly..... slowly.
Tearing up time!
I love when it's all rolled up! It's a piece of art in itself.

This really is a lovely project to do. Has anyone out there ever tried a rag rug or heard anything about one from anyone? I'd love to hear anything about it!

3 comments:

  1. wow, that is an awsome rug, well done! It is lovely that it's got such a nice story behind the materials used in it. Love the old sheets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great - I have had this one favoured for a while - will try it one day.

    http://vintagechica.typepad.com/the_life_and_times_of_thi/2006/10/rag_rug_tutoria.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I made one I used 2 flat sheets and 3 different pillowcases. Actually the hardest part was the ripping and winding. It turned out and I am giving to a friend. Yet I still need to figure out or if you can tell me how you cut or rip. I made snips and riped back and forth, but when I got to a turn in the sheet it made a lump or did not tuck rigth. Any tips? Also did you cut or rip?
    Angela

    ReplyDelete